Vai songs the Dimarzio evolution pickup is being used....

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
Shredhead
Newcomer

I'm planning on possibly getting the new Jem7vsbl and I was wondering on which songs the evolution is being used..?..I know he has used the breed and blaze on some as well... Just to get a better idea of what the evo sounds like.... :?

Shredhead :D
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Every Vai album since Sex and Religion has featured EVO - Steve's guitar equipped with Evolution pickups.

I can't give you a track-by-track breakdown, but more often than not, you are hearing EVO.

Peace,

Mikey
vai.com
Last edited by Mikey on Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matwey

..not to argue with Mickey :) , but i'd suggest to listen to "Alien Love Secrets" for the sound of Evolution pickups(except for "The Boy From Seattle" clean chords part ;)), as it looks to be less studio effects processing in there as on other Steve's albums, rather there's more guitar->DS-1->amp/speaker sim sound :) (not sure where "Systematic Sound Splitter" goes though :shock:), so that you can hear more of how DiMarzio Evolution works via distortion path.
Frank S
Newcomer

Here a few songs when the sound of the evo's really come out :
Crying Machine , Hand on heart, Warm Regards, Jibboom , Windows to the soul, Building the church..
Go play a jem7 in the store and decide if the evo's are the right pickups for you, cause they're hot and it may not suite your playing style!
fyrie

If I remember correctly, Steve uses a strat on Warm Regards.
Rahab

http://www.vai.com/realillusions/index.html

This is practically a roadmap of his new album. Tells you exactly what guitars he used on which songs. Evo has... evos~
lydian7

Frank S wrote:Here a few songs when the sound of the evo's really come out :
Crying Machine , Hand on heart, Warm Regards, Jibboom , Windows to the soul, Building the church..
Go play a jem7 in the store and decide if the evo's are the right pickups for you, cause they're hot and it may not suite your playing style!
You missed out Tender Surrender, my favourite 7th song, and an excellent showcase for the evo pickups. Steve uses a huge dynamic range of sounds during this piece, and utilises his tone to its limits. Sweet atmosphere too. :)
sonnny
Newcomer

Wrong! Warm regards and Building the church is recorded with breeds 8)
lastmohican

Matwey wrote:..not to argue with Mickey :) , but i'd suggest to listen to "Alien Love Secrets" for the sound of Evolution pickups(except for "The Boy From Seattle" clean chords part ;)), as it looks to be less studio effects processing in there as on other Steve's albums, rather there's more guitar->DS-1->amp/speaker sim sound :) (not sure where "Systematic Sound Splitter" goes though :shock:), so that you can hear more of how DiMarzio Evolution works via distortion path.
I think I heard somewhere that he actually used a cheap Strat for recording BOY FROM SEATTLE

:wink:
brentm

lastmohican wrote:
Matwey wrote:..not to argue with Mickey :) , but i'd suggest to listen to "Alien Love Secrets" for the sound of Evolution pickups(except for "The Boy From Seattle" clean chords part ;)), as it looks to be less studio effects processing in there as on other Steve's albums, rather there's more guitar->DS-1->amp/speaker sim sound :) (not sure where "Systematic Sound Splitter" goes though :shock:), so that you can hear more of how DiMarzio Evolution works via distortion path.
I think I heard somewhere that he actually used a cheap Strat for recording BOY FROM SEATTLE

:wink:
Steve discusses this in the ALS DVD Interview. He recorded much of that song with a Fender Stratocaster guitar. He mentions that he shopped pretty hard for a Strat that matched the sound he was looking for (as a tribute to the inspiration for the song). He play tested several high end strats along with the usual run and decided on a Crafted in Japan Fender Stratocaster.

Good ear Matway! It sounds like you could pick Evo out of a guitar line up.

-Brent
Hub

sonnny wrote:
Wrong! Warm regards and Building the church is recorded with breeds 8)
But the solo in Building the Church must be Evo, very distinctive sound...
Stephen Brown

fyrie wrote:If I remember correctly, Steve uses a strat on Warm Regards.
May I be as bold to say, maybe that's not so.
HeadacheBR

Rahab wrote:http://www.vai.com/realillusions/index.html

This is practically a roadmap of his new album. Tells you exactly what guitars he used on which songs. Evo has... evos~
I never knew about this!!!

I always kept wondering what Vai thinks when he makes a song... And everything is listed there! LOL

THANKS ! :D