Is it possible to buy an original guitar from the master ?

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
Viola 4 Ever
Newcomer

Is it possible to buy an original guitar from the master ?

#1 Post by Viola 4 Ever » Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:17 am

I would like to know if anyone knows if it is at all possible to buy a guitar that Steve has used on tour. I am looking for an autografed, mint condition, GEM guitar that I want to put on display at my home.
Any suggestions ?

ax murderer

#2 Post by ax murderer » Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:58 am

quite a few of steve's guitars have been auctioned for charity over the years, or given to colleagues, and often appear for sale in the usual places. i doubt he's really in the market for just selling them though, and i DEFINITELY doubt any of them would be mint condition. i personally want one of steve's 777SK's pretty much more than anything in the world (it's not like he uses them these days), but chance would be a fine thing!

NatiFable

#3 Post by NatiFable » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:52 am

This is something maybe Steve should consider in the future. I don't agree with the pricing on the Charvel's EVH was selling on eBay, but the idea is incredible. A musician like Steve could do something along the same lines and play a special Ibanez Jem and then sell them for his charity.

In the case of EVH, he really went after the bucks on those guitars but it was/is a great idea-to have bought a striped guitar that Eddie personally did for you! Think about what a personal Hendrix axe would be going for if he had thought of that way back when?

In the future, artists may go this way. Musician/artists will need to be able to make more dollars for the same sized venues they played the last tour, and this would go right in there with the 'special, backstage tour purchase' alot of artists are doing now to make more money and make some lucky people's day!

Ibanez and Steve could team up and create a Jem, with special color or whatever and then auction them off on eBay or something. You would get an instrument that Vai played, with all the certificates of authenticity and years and years from now, you would have a guitar that a 'Legend' played on.

Come on Steve...

peace and light

miker

Re: Is it possible to buy an original guitar from the master

#4 Post by miker » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:34 am

Viola 4 Ever wrote:...is at all possible to buy a guitar that Steve has used on tour...mint condition...
That's unpossible. Steve plays the shit out of his guitars... quite literally.

Richard Pike sold about 3 pre-owned Jems a little while ago... dunno of any for sale now. None of the 3 sold were mint... and one had been burned a bit in a bus fire.

Anyways... Steve feels the battle, er... touring scars, add character to the guitar.

You want mint? Order a new unplayed one.

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#5 Post by Mikey » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:43 am

NatiFable wrote:This is something maybe Steve should consider in the future. I don't agree with the pricing on the Charvel's EVH was selling on eBay, but the idea is incredible. A musician like Steve could do something along the same lines and play a special Ibanez Jem and then sell them for his charity.
Steve has already done this a number of times. The proceeds always go to charity.

Apart from that, Steve doesn't sell his guitars.

Peace,

Mikey
vai.com

The Prez

#6 Post by The Prez » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:41 pm

Yeah, and im sure the bidding goes quite high for my wallet.

miker

#7 Post by miker » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:01 pm

I used to think I wouldn't want one of Steve's used guitars because they were banged up a bit... but then I got to check out EVO in April. And even though that guitar has many chips out of the finish and a crack through the body... it is one of the best electric guitars I have ever plinked on. That kinda changed my mind.

So... it's actually cooler IMHO... having a guitar that Steve has left his mark on. If he played it for any length of time... you know it's gotta be good -- he's very discriminating on his main axes.

Course, the availability is another thing like Mikey sez.

Drew the Magnificent

#8 Post by Drew the Magnificent » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:32 am

I remember an autographed JEM body on ebay that Steve had smashed. I think it was up to around $2000 when I saw it.

Wis Redz of Silvanost

#9 Post by Wis Redz of Silvanost » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:28 pm

There was PIA. The best 7vwh ever... Rich sold it for $6750 some time ago. I'll have that one some time!

juliussontany

#10 Post by juliussontany » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:56 am

check his website everyday for updated !!!
he might sell his EVO ??? lolz

MR4Y

#11 Post by MR4Y » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:16 pm

it's almost impossible. he has EVO for years and years, and he not sell the damn thing, XD

KeithH

#12 Post by KeithH » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:43 am

buy a jem, book an EVO and ask him to sign it, and you get a pic of this too (if you take your camera).

if you asked him EXTREMELY nicely yhe may have a quick blast on your guitar.

then youve got everything you want without getting in to an auction with anybody.