What strings and string gauge does Steve use?

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
motogod
Newcomer

#16 Post by motogod » Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:59 am

I dont use the blue steels. I use the sig. steel i think. I go about 2 weeks before i break a E. I'll go one day before i break the d'addario. I thought maybe it was a bad set, but no. I never reall remember having a problem with d'addarios till lately when i started to play more often. D'addarios these days are the worst strings out there if you play hard and use alot of bar. This is a fact not a opinion. When you break a high e every day. With 2 diif. sets of strings, that is a problem. I thought maybe it was my bridge, but when i went out and bought the dean's no breakage for about 2 weeks. I under stand that some of you dont have that problem, but that is probably cuz you dont play as hard as i do. But wouldnt you want to have a set that is a little longer lasting?? I actually bought a set of ernie ball's about 3 days ago and havent had a break yet which tells me they are better then the d'addarios. I use the hybrid slinky 9-46's. If alot of you use 9-42's i suggest trying 9-46's. To me the heavier e string just seems to have more oomph to it. If you use drop d there is a world of difference.

Matwey

#17 Post by Matwey » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:23 am

i tried Dean Markley Blue steel as well some time ago(guess it was back in 1996 or so, hehe ;)), and i didn't like 'em too :( Despite the first broken one was within two-three weeks, somehow they didn't feel good when it was up to bends, etc... D'Addarios in these terms do feel better to me for sure.

I forgot to mention that one of those recently broken high E D'Addarios -- it's got broken when i just started to rotate the tuner installing it, i.e. at low tension!!! :shock: ...Assuming both highly positive and negative comments, can i conclude that one of the possible reasons of BAD strings quality can be that the bad ones are being actually a counterfeit? :?: ..Just think about it: if someone's up to counterfeit the strings, what would you choose for a target? Right, the most popular brand. D'Addario, that is! ..But i have no idea how to make a difference between the actual ones and a counterfeit -- the package, etc looks as usual. Also what gives me that idea is that D'Addarios were really good even a couple of years ago, and they started to get worse only just recently...

..And i didn't mention that last time i was going for restringing, i was looking for Ernie Ball strings, but unfortunately they were all gone everywhere :cry: That was most likely because they're really great and are getting more and more popular because of low price/excellent quality. They're being installed on all guitars at most of guitar stores, so that all the time i was hanging around in there, they never broke -- doesn't matter how hard i was, say, applying a pick to them :)

..On second thought, one of the possible reasons in the fresh strings breaking case could be that the strings actually have a tendency to stretch and get more thin or something during the time the tension applied, so that if you're lucky enough and have 'em for a long time they must be settled down and stuff... What am i about to say is that maybe it is reasonable not to get on fresh ones so hard right after installing them :) (coz the problem can that if you're not a kid anymore and actually can have somewhat stronger and weightier hands -- but the strings gauge you're using is the same, get it? hehe :P)
Last edited by Matwey on Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Henrique Henriques

#18 Post by Henrique Henriques » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:29 am

Yeah! It depends on the gauge you use! I could never get along with D'adarios! I don't use Blue Steel although I like them! They are too expensive for me! I use the regular kind of Dean Markleys! I like the tone and sound of the Hybrid 10-52 like I said before! I can play anything from Jazz to Rock with it!

What gauge you guys use?

Peace :wink:

Henrique Henriques

#19 Post by Henrique Henriques » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:32 am

Ernie Ball for me is the 2º best strings around! If you use Dean Markleys or D'addarios you will probably like the Ernies! For me they are like the Markleys but little bit thinner, and has more "punch" than the D'addarios!

:!:

Matwey

#20 Post by Matwey » Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:20 am

Gtdork wrote:What gauge you guys use?

it's .009-.042 for me ;)

bkornaker1977

#21 Post by bkornaker1977 » Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:29 am

I use 9-42 also. I used to use D'addarios for like 7 years, but then the last few months I switched to ernie balls. For some reason they dont corrode away as fast as the others. D'addarios get mucky and corrode in a day or so for me, but the ernie balls takes like a few days before i notice any gunk forming on the strings.

chestah

#22 Post by chestah » Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:21 pm

I too am curious as to know why Steve Vai changed back to Ernie Ball.. yeah they are great strings.. I just thought that he just kept using Blue steels..... :? ?

anyways I'm currently using Boomer Sub-Zero's and they are the best strings I've played yet.. They sound great and last a hell of a long time.. I've played the same set for about 3 months now.. and no sign of corrosion or dents in the low strings from the frets.. I used to have to change strings every month cause they would just rust on me.. but Blue steels just seem to work great for me..

RAI

#23 Post by RAI » Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:41 pm

I use D'addarios, 9-42.
I gave Blue Steels a chance, but the just seemed to lose their elasticity way too fast. It felt like I had 13's or something, not 9's!

And a side note:
I can't remember the last time I broke a string....

IbanezRules

#24 Post by IbanezRules » Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:51 am

I read somewhere that Steve used Dean Markley before...
Those strings are killer!

chestah

#25 Post by chestah » Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:57 am

well Blue Steels are dean markley make.. I too saw it, I think it was on The Ultra Zone..?.. Yeah I don't know why he went back to ernie balls..
Yeah they are great strings but I just assumed that Blue Steels were a custom vai product..

anyways I wasn't too fond of Blue steels either.. I'm now using Boomer Sub-Zero's and they work for me.. My last set that I changed about 4 months ago are still on them, with out any corrosion for dents... Normal strings usually last no longer tahn a month.. so I'm saving money right there..

IbanezRules

#26 Post by IbanezRules » Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:38 am

My Ernie Ball Boomer just cracks off after 2 weeks of usage.
The Dean Markley Nickel or something like that. They are much better.
They also got anti-corrision, and lasts for at least a month

ds23pallas

#27 Post by ds23pallas » Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:15 pm

I used Blue steels for a while when they first came out and I really liked the tone of them, but they did seem to break more often than Ernie Balls. Weird... and at £7 a set (as opposed to £4.99 for EBs) I couldn't afford to keep that habit up! Can you still get them? I haven't seen them since about '97?

Cheers
Andrew

Henrique Henriques

#28 Post by Henrique Henriques » Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:09 am

If you can get Blue Steel here in Brazil (3º world country) I am sure you can get them in Ingland! 8) 8)

Spelling check!

:oops: Sorry about that! hehe

akami

I like Ernie Ball

#29 Post by akami » Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:10 am

I tried Dean Markley for about 10 years and thought they'd always be my strings. Then I bought a used Jem to look at and practice on! It came with a set of Ernie Ball .10-.46's and I've been using them now for 12 years with no complaints. The only time they ever break on me is when I haven't changed them in a while and start to get overly abusive. Strange, but for me the slightly heavier guage actually plays easier for me. :mrgreen:

Dr.N.A.Ma

#30 Post by Dr.N.A.Ma » Sun Sep 07, 2003 8:20 am

wow. soooo many broken strings.

I bought a few packs of slinkies but haven't tried them out yet, no strings have busted yet.

I use FENDERS on my guitars and in the passed 2 years, I've busted 2-3 high E strings while tuning up on my old guitar.

Other then that on my old guitar, I abuse the hell outa my strings on my JEM7D with its Floyd Rose, and not a broken string yet.