Steve's DigiTech Whammy Pedal?????

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
Message
Author
SPQR
Member
Member
Posts: 1071
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:36 pm
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Steve's DigiTech Whammy Pedal?????

#1 Post by SPQR » Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:44 pm

What songs does steve use his whammy pedal on, my friend has said tracks such as ballarina 12/24 and for the love of god, but i don't know were it comes into action in ftlog???

User avatar
RAI
Member
Member
Posts: 3195
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:23 pm
Location: Mooresville, NC
Contact:

#2 Post by RAI » Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:30 pm

Not on "12/24" (that's an Eventide harmonizer), and not on "FTLOG".
A great example is "Touching Tongues"....

Ffats
Member
Member
Posts: 296
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:46 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Contact:

#3 Post by Ffats » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:39 pm

I'm willing to be he uses it quite a bit on a lot of parts that sound like a regular whammy!

ultrazone_seeker
Member
Member
Posts: 616
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 5:22 am
Location: Brisbane, Oz
Contact:

#4 Post by ultrazone_seeker » Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:50 am

ones that immediately come to mind off the top of my head...

The Blood and Tears
Asian Sky
The Mysterious Murder of Christian Tierra's Lover

User avatar
RAI
Member
Member
Posts: 3195
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:23 pm
Location: Mooresville, NC
Contact:

#5 Post by RAI » Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:42 am

Ffats wrote:He uses it quite a bit on a lot of parts that sound like a regular whammy!
Well, a Whammy pedal is a pitch shifting device, and doesn't really sound anything like a real whammy bar...
Just think of it this way, when you dive with your trem, the strings get nice and sloppy.
A great sound!
But with a Whammy pedal, only the pitch changes, so you don't get that gurgling, warbly, floppy sound of the strings.
I'm sure there are a few things you could do, but why when he already has trems on his guitars?
:)

Ffats
Member
Member
Posts: 296
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:46 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Contact:

#6 Post by Ffats » Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:29 pm

RAI wrote: I'm sure there are a few things you could do, but why when he already has trems on his guitars?
:)
When it's physically impossible to reach for the whammy, such as on tapping parts.

Parker_Fly
Member
Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:45 am

#7 Post by Parker_Fly » Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:02 pm

ever heard the animal? he uses it on that song for the main riffs to drop the note a 5th below.

Luan
Member
Member
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:19 pm
Location: Argentina! The ass of the earth

#8 Post by Luan » Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:26 pm

The reaper.

A little part.

User avatar
RAI
Member
Member
Posts: 3195
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:23 pm
Location: Mooresville, NC
Contact:

#9 Post by RAI » Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:28 pm

Parker_Fly wrote:ever heard the animal? he uses it on that song for the main riffs to drop the note a 5th below.
Don't need a whammy pedal for that...
A "cheapie" pitch shifter will do it too.
But in "The Animal" he's most likely using an Eventide.

SPQR
Member
Member
Posts: 1071
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:36 pm
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

a

#10 Post by SPQR » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:59 am

thanks all for posting, happy posting

Cozi101
Member
Member
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

#11 Post by Cozi101 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:18 pm

yeah he does use the eventide on the animal

Parker_Fly
Member
Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:45 am

#12 Post by Parker_Fly » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:31 am

Cozi101 wrote:yeah he does use the eventide on the animal
actually no he uses the digitech whammy.. he talks about it on the commentary track on astoria dvd... you can also see him step on it a bunch of times after the main riff in the song on the dvd..

User avatar
RAI
Member
Member
Posts: 3195
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:23 pm
Location: Mooresville, NC
Contact:

#13 Post by RAI » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:17 am

Parker_Fly wrote:
Cozi101 wrote:yeah he does use the eventide on the animal
actually no he uses the digitech whammy.. he talks about it on the commentary track on astoria dvd... you can also see him step on it a bunch of times after the main riff in the song on the dvd..
He might be using a Whammy pedal now, but was he using it in the studio when the track was recorded in '88 or '89?

Knyq
Member
Member
Posts: 273
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:18 pm
Location: Ohio
Contact:

#14 Post by Knyq » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:11 pm

RAI wrote:
Parker_Fly wrote:
Cozi101 wrote:yeah he does use the eventide on the animal
actually no he uses the digitech whammy.. he talks about it on the commentary track on astoria dvd... you can also see him step on it a bunch of times after the main riff in the song on the dvd..
He might be using a Whammy pedal now, but was he using it in the studio when the track was recorded in '88 or '89?

passion and warfare was released in 97.

User avatar
RAI
Member
Member
Posts: 3195
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:23 pm
Location: Mooresville, NC
Contact:

#15 Post by RAI » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:26 pm

In '97?
No, not quite.....
Fire Garden was released in 1996.
Passion & Warfare was released in the spring/summer of 1990.
Which makes its tracks recorded in the later part of the 80's.
Was the Whammy pedal available then?

:)

Post Reply